Solutions and Compliance

Display Energy Certificates

• We provide a comprehensive DEC service that focuses on bringing true value for our clients, in not only providing legal compliance but also offering support to aid and improve energy efficiency and discussing your DEC results.

• A Display Energy Certificate shows the energy performance of a building based on actual energy consumption as recorded over the last 12 months within the validity period of the DEC (the operational rating)

Who requires a DEC?

• A DEC and Advisory Report are required for buildings with a total useful floor area over 250m² that are occupied in whole or part by public authorities and frequently visited by the public – this would include council buildings, schools, colleges, universities, museums, NHS Trust, community centres, leisure centres etc.

• You will need to display a DEC in a prominent place clearly visible to the public. You will also need to have in your possession or control a valid advisory report – these highlights recommendations to improve the energy performance of the building (i.e. its fabric and associated services such as heating, ventilation and lighting).

• Validity – Where the building has a total useful floor area of more than 1,000m² , the DEC is valid for 12 months. The accompanying advisory report is valid for seven years. Where the building has a total useful floor area of between 250m² and 1000m² , the DEC and advisory report are valid for 10 years.


Energy Performance Certificates

• An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) indicates the energy efficiency of building. The assessments are banded from A to G, where A (or A+ for non-domestic properties) is the most efficient in terms of likely fuel costs and carbon dioxide emissions. The purpose of an EPC is to show prospective tenants or buyers the energy efficiency of the building.


Who requires an EPC?

• You must have an EPC if you rent or sell the premises.
• A building under construction is finished.
• There are changes to the number of parts used for separate occupation and these changes involve providing or extending fixed heating, air conditioning or mechanical ventilation systems.



• ESOS is a mandatory energy assessment scheme for organisations in the UK that meet the qualification criteria. The Environment Agency is the UK scheme administrator. Organisations that qualify for ESOS must carry out ESOS assessments every 4 years. These assessments are audits of the energy used by their buildings, industrial processes and transport to identify cost-effective energy saving measures.

• ESOS applies to large UK undertakings and their corporate groups. It mainly affects businesses but can also apply to not-for-profit bodies and any other non-public sector undertakings that are large enough to meet the qualification criteria.

• Corporate groups qualify if at least one UK group member meets the ESOS definition of a large undertaking